Festival Frequently Asked Questions
What is Juneteenth?
Juneteenth is a holiday celebrated on the 19th of June to commemorate the emancipation of enslaved people in the Confederate States. The holiday was first celebrated in Texas, where on that date in 1865, in the aftermath of the Civil War, slaves were declared free under the terms of the 1862 Emancipation Proclamation. Juneteenth is also known as Freedom Day, Jubilee Day, Liberation Day, and Emancipation Day.
What is the Homewood-Flossmoor Juneteenth Festival?
The Homewood-Flossmoor Juneteenth Festival is a celebration of African American culture as expressed through food, music, dance, and arts. Our mission is to provide an environment that celebrates and showcases the uniqueness, power, and endurance of African Americans.
Who’s organizing this festival?
This festival is being organized by You Matter 2. You Matter 2 was founded in 2014 by Destiny Watson, and the organization provides youth with a safe space to develop positive relationships, leadership skills, and discover their passions. Our mission is to provide opportunities for youth to serve and make a difference in their community.
Who is this festival for?
This festival is for all races/ethnicities in the Homewood-Flossmoor community and surrounding areas. This event is family-friendly and caters to all age ranges.
Where and when is the festival?
The festival will be held at Homewood-Flossmoor High School’s South Parking Lot | 999 Kedzie Ave, Flossmoor, IL 60422 from 11:00-6:30 PM.
How can I register and what is the cost?
Can I attend more than one time slot?
Unfortunately, no. In an effort to stick with CDC capacity guidelines and allow as many residents to attend the event we are not allowing anyone to attend more than one time slot. Each time slot is 2.5 hours and will provide enough time to experience the festival.
What happens if I miss my time slot or show up late?
If you miss your time slot or show up late, and there is still capacity for the following time slot you will have to wait in our waitlist line. However, we cannot guarantee entry.
Can I register to attend onsite/on the day of the event?
If there is the capacity to allow people in, yes, however, we highly encourage that you register beforehand because we cannot guarantee entry.
Can I show my tickets on my phone at the door or do I need to have the physical tickets with me?
Yes, you can show your tickets on your phone.
Where can I find parking?
- Parking will be available at the following locations:
- Homewood-Flossmoor High School North Building | 800 Governors Hwy, Flossmoor, IL 60422
- Parker Junior High School | 2810 School St, Flossmoor, IL 60422
- Flossmoor Village Hall | 2800 Flossmoor Rd, Flossmoor, IL 60422
How will you ensure the festival follows CDC guidelines/safety?
We are following CDC guidelines by limited capacity to 1,000 attendees in the festival at one time. There will be hand sanitizer stations placed throughout the festival grounds. Masks will be required.
How can I get involved in the festival? (Volunteer, vendors, sponsors, entertainers)
- Volunteer: Sign up to be a volunteer at www.youmatter2.org/juneteenthvolunteer | must 16 and up
- Vendors: Register to become a vendor at www.youmatter2.org/vendors, we’re looking for retailers, service providers, nonprofits, authors, food trucks, etc.
- Sponsorship: Become a sponsor by visiting: www.youmatter2.org/sponsorship
- Entertainment: At the moment we are not accepting any more entertainment acts. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the waitlist.
- Make A Donation: Help us continue this event annually by making a donation. Click here to make a contribution.
What activities are being offered?
- Food Trucks
- Carnival Slide
- Sand Art Table
- Shoot to Win Basketball
- Inflatable Tic-Tac-Toe/Connect 4
- Super Heroic Shoe Giveaway by Flossmoor & Homewood Police Department
Can I bring a scooter/wheelchair?
Motorized scooters and wheelchairs for disabled patrons are allowed inside the festival.
Can I bring a stroller or wagon for my kids?
Yes, strollers or small wagons are allowed. Please limit any diaper bags to the smallest you can manage. All items will be searched by security personnel at the gates and will have the final say on what is allowed?
Are pets allowed?
Only service pets are allowed on the festival grounds.
Will there be ATMs available?
No. We encourage you to bring cash with you and debit/credit cards.
Can I go back to my car and re-enter the festival?
Yes, as long as you show your ticket.
Where can i purchase juneteenth decor and apparel? (yard signs, shirts, etc.)